If you are looking to ship your artwork abroad, you may be wondering about the cost involved in the process. Shipping fine art internationally can be a complex and delicate task with various factors influencing the overall cost. Here are some different factors that affect the cost of shipping artwork abroad to provide you with insights on how to budget for this important aspect of the art shipping process.
At EMS GROUP, we specialize in fine art shipping including international shipping. With over ten years of experience in the industry, we understand the unique requirements of shipping delicate and valuable artwork safely and securely. Our team of experts will work closely with you to provide customized solutions for your international art shipping needs, ensuring that your artwork arrives at its destination in pristine condition.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Shipping Artworks Abroad
- Artwork size and weight: The size and weight of your artwork are significant factors that can affect the shipping cost. Larger and heavier artwork may require special handling and packaging and may also result in higher shipping fees due to increased handling and transportation costs.
- Destination and distance: The destination of your artwork plays a crucial role in determining the shipping cost. Shipping artwork to remote or distant locations may require longer transit times, additional transportation modes and higher shipping fees.
- Packaging requirements: Proper packaging is essential for protecting your artwork during international transit. The type of packaging materials such as custom crates or specialized padding required for your artwork can impact the overall shipping cost.
- Transportation mode: The transportation mode you choose for shipping your artwork abroad can also affect the cost. Air freight is generally faster but can be more expensive compared to ocean freight which is slower but more cost-effective for larger shipments.
- Customs duties and taxes: When shipping artwork internationally, customs duties and taxes may apply depending on the destination country’s regulations. These charges can vary significantly and should be considered when budgeting for the overall shipping cost.
- Insurance coverage: Fine art requires comprehensive insurance coverage during international transit to protect against potential damage or loss. The type and amount of insurance coverage you choose can impact the shipping cost as higher insurance coverage may result in higher premiums.
- Additional services: Additional services such as white-glove handling, installation, and unpacking at the destination can add to the overall shipping cost. These services can be beneficial for delicate and valuable artwork that requires special care and attention.
How to Budget for Shipping Art Abroad
Now that you have an understanding of the factors that affect the cost of shipping artwork abroad, here are some tips on how to budget for this integral component of the art shipping process:
- Obtain multiple quotes: It’s essential to obtain quotes from different fine art shipping companies to compare costs and services. Look for companies with experience in international shipping and specialized expertise in handling fine art to ensure the safe and secure transport of your artwork.
- Provide accurate information: When requesting quotes, make sure to provide accurate information about your artwork including its size, weight, destination, and any special handling or packaging requirements. Providing accurate information will help the shipping company provide you with a more accurate quote.
- Understand the services included: Make sure to understand the services included in the shipping quote. Some companies may provide a basic shipping service while others may offer additional services such as custom packaging, insurance coverage, and customs clearance. Be clear on what services are included and consider any additional services you may need for your artwork.
- Consider insurance coverage: Fine art requires comprehensive insurance coverage during international transit to protect against potential damage or loss. Consider the type and amount of insurance coverage you need and factor it into your budget.
- Research customs duties and taxes: Research the customs duties and taxes that may apply to your specific destination country. Customs duties and taxes can vary significantly depending on the country, the value of the artwork, and the type of artwork being shipped. Make sure to account for these charges in your budget to avoid any surprises later on.
- Packaging and handling costs: Proper packaging is crucial for protecting your artwork during international transit. Custom crates, specialized padding and other packaging materials may be required for delicate and valuable artwork. These packaging and handling costs should be considered when budgeting for the overall shipping cost.
- Transportation mode: The transportation mode you choose can also affect the cost of shipping artwork abroad. Air freight is generally faster but can be more expensive while ocean freight is slower but more cost-effective for larger shipments. Consider the urgency and size of your artwork when choosing the transportation mode and factor in the associated costs.
- Additional services: Consider any additional services that you may need such as white-glove handling, installation, or unpacking at the destination. These services can provide added convenience and care for your artwork but they may also come with additional costs. Make sure to include these services in your budget if needed.
- Plan ahead: International shipping can sometimes have unexpected delays especially when it comes to customs clearance. Planning ahead and allowing for some buffer time in your timeline can help you avoid rush fees or additional costs due to last-minute changes. It’s always best to plan for the unexpected when it comes to shipping artwork abroad.
Why Hire a Fine Art Shipping Company like EMS Group?
While it may be tempting to try to ship your artwork abroad on your own to save on costs, hiring a professional fine art shipping company like EMS GROUP can provide you with peace of mind, reliability, and expertise that can ultimately save you time, effort, and potential costly mistakes.
- Experience and expertise: EMS GROUP has over 10 years of experience in fine art shipping including international shipping. Our team of experts is well-versed in the unique requirements of handling delicate and valuable artwork and we have the expertise to ensure that your artwork is packed, handled, and transported safely and securely.
- Customized solutions: We understand that every artwork is unique and requires individualized care. We provide customized solutions tailored to your specific artwork and shipping needs, including custom packaging, specialized handling, insurance coverage and customs clearance.
- Professional packaging and handling: EMS GROUP uses industry-leading techniques and materials to professionally pack and handle your artwork ensuring that it is protected from any potential damage during transit. Our team of skilled art handlers has the expertise to safely and securely transport your artwork minimizing the risk of any mishaps.
- International network and resources: As a professional fine art shipping company, EMS Group has a well-established international network and resources. We have strong partnerships with global carriers, customs brokers and other industry professionals allowing us to navigate the complexities of international shipping and ensure smooth transit of your artwork.
- Insurance coverage: EMS GROUP provides comprehensive insurance coverage for your artwork during transit protecting against potential damage or loss. Our insurance coverage gives you peace of mind knowing that your artwork is protected against any unforeseen circumstances.
- Time and cost savings: By hiring a professional fine art shipping company, you can save time and effort in researching, planning and executing the complex process of shipping artwork internationally. Our expertise and resources can help streamline the shipping process, minimize delays and potentially save you money in the long run by avoiding costly mistakes.
In conclusion, while shipping artwork abroad may seem daunting, hiring a professional fine art shipping company like EMS GROUP can provide you with the peace of mind, reliability, and expertise needed for a safe and secure transit of your valuable artwork.
Contact us for more information on the cost of shipping artwork abroad.